The Tower

The Tower

Torre

The minaret built by Abderraman III has been preserved inside the present-day bell-tower. It remained intact until it was damaged by a heavy storm before 1593, and was repaired soon after by the Cathedral Council, who entrusted the project to Hernán Ruiz II. He promptly knocked down much of the old minaret and added the upper floors to house bells. Work on the tower continued in the 17th century, when Juan Sequero de Matilla built the clock chamber, and at the end of the century, the foundations were strengthened as the tower was deemed to be in danger of collapsing. The bell chamber is the work of Gaspar de la Peña in 1664, and the statue of San Rafael at the very top of the tower is by the sculptors Bernabé Gómez del Río and Pedro de la Paz.