|SITUATION: CALLE JESÚS Y MARÍA|
The Gongora “cinema” was built between 1929 and 1932 by Madrid architect Luis Gutierrez Soto, and was one of the most important theatres in the city – in the 1980s, when the Grand Theatre was closed, it was the only one. Here, as well as theatre productions and cinema, concerts, political meetings and other miscellaneous events were held.
The terrace used to house a summer cinema which had the reputation in the city at that time of being the poshest (where the public didn’t chat) and one of the most modern in the city. A lift or stairs led up from the ground floor to the summer cinema and, as well as the seating being a cut above that used in other cinemas, the public could even hire rocking chairs.
The new Gongora Theatre
After the building was purchased by Cordoba City Council in 2004, the project for rebuilding the theatre was presented by architect Rafael de la Hoz Castanys on January 20, 2009, and building work began in mid-June that year.
The new theatre opened its doors to the public in September 2011. After refurbishing, the theatre has a ground floor hall with capacity for 600 people, and another top floor hall (Polyphemus Hall), with capacity for 350 people, where summer cinema sessions are held.