Iglesia Conventual de San José (San Cayetano)
The convent church of San José, known popularly as San Cayetano, was founded in 1638 by the Discalced (or barefooted) Carmelites in front of the Colodro Gate. The façade dates from 1638 and has two bell towers. The church is in the shape of a Latin cross, with a cupola and vaulting, with the walls full of fresco paintings. At the top of the altarpiece is a statue of San José (St. Joseph), the patron saint of the church, accompanied by San Elías and San Juan de la Cruz. The transept is decorated with two altarpieces, one dedicated to el Niño Jesús de Praga (The Infant Jesus of Prague) and the other to Santa Teresa de Jesús (St. Teresa of Jesus), sculpted by Gómez de Sandoval. One interesting feature is the former allotments, behind the church, part of which was used as a public cemetery at the beginning of the 19th century.